Friday, April 22, 2011

Through your window...

My husband Donn, is one of the kindest human beings I know. His birthday is coming up, giving me the perfect opportunity to highlight him and tell you a little bit about him.

Donn reads the Star Tribune paper copy cover to cover, daily. He remembers high school friend’s birthdays but can not recall the one thing he needed at Menards without his trusty yellow post-it notes. He dislikes hot weather but absolutely loves the hot sunny beach of a winter Mexico vacation. Mosquitoes and other bugs flying around his head make him feel “buggy” so he’s often found swatting them with his newspaper. Without question, he drives the cleanest car in town and makes certain I do too.

He has been my best friend for over thirty five years, which includes twenty five years of marriage. I assume his many friends would agree he’s not only kind but one of the friendliest guys you will ever meet. As a son and brother, he connects to his family with an open heart full of love and commitment. Since the mid 1970’s that abundant love overflows onto me, creating a bond that instantly made them my family too.

Donn and I have shared more life experiences together than apart. No matter what, Donn’s loyalty is constant. When my Mom needed a wig during cancer treatment, it was Donn that drove us to Dayton’s in Southdale. At a social event, Donn will always find the time to chat with old neighbors about all the fun they had growing up near Lonsdale. He’s the kind of person who loves when someone asks him to help with a project. Sure to arrive with a trunk full of things he has to make the job easier.

Donn cries at weddings and screams “like a girl” watching a scary movie but is embarrassed that he does. He’s the type of husband that never leaves without kissing me goodbye. Everyday he comes home from work with a smile on his face. He is a hopeful optimist, never giving up on me or our family even though some days were pretty rough. He supports me one hundred percent even the day I came home from work and said “I’m quitting my fulltime job to “Be The Change”.

In his role as Dad, Donn gives me a glimpse of heaven each time I witness the depth of his love for our two children. In addition to saying the words I love you, he demonstrates love in action. Teachable moments he has with Jessica, makes me wish I could stop time. The silent grief he carries for angel Michael makes him a hero. My memories of Michael and Donn together lend moments of perfection.

Donn helped his parents wash windows a couple of days ago. In an email note of thanks his Mom said, “Through our windows, the world looks better.” Her words reminded me of looking out the windows of Michael’s hospital rooms, most of them water spotted and dirty. Never allowing a clear view of the world outside, something each of us longed for. It’s where I learned random acts of kindness go beyond the act. They provide a fresh gaze with a new hopeful view through any window. It did then and it does now.

Thanks Donn, for giving us a better look at the world through clear windows of your love, kindness and respect for life. People like you inspire others to Be The Change!

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to such a wonderful person. I am so blessed by both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, every word!! Happy Birthday Donn!

    Love, The Rezacs

    ReplyDelete