Friday, December 30, 2011

In this house...

Be The Change was first spoken in our house just a few years ago, yet I believe its purpose was spoke long before that. I questioned who can Be The Change while bombarded with the kind of changes most can hardly imagine.

In this house, Be The Change is inspired by the life of Michael Zimanske and educates the world, especially those involved in healthcare, that our real life experiences challenge each one of us to Be The Change. This expanding campaign gives a voice to the perspective of patients and their family members with positive impact on relationships with medical providers. It offers endless opportunity for everyone to join in and Be The Change in their respected role.

The intention of the Be the Change campaign is to motivate and spark change in others. Little did I know I would be the one most changed by the compelling stories and countless experiences shared with Be The Change makers.

Most definitely, I’ve been primarily changed by rare disease and the passing of my son's earthly life to his eternal one. Michael was a life changer, a big change maker. However, I’d be remiss not mentioning I’ve also been changed by my parent’s medical scenarios, their end of life events, my own breast cancer and my husband's heart condition. It’s a lengthy medical list defined by medical and human experiences, resulting in life changing events, which speak into Be The Change. They are at the heart of the campaign and created more change makers.

In this house, among the varied changes are model change makers. They enlighten, teach, and encourage as we travel a changed bumpy road together. First and foremost, they are my husband and daughter who always believe in me, my family and friends who stand by me. Faithful change makers that demonstrate how to love a changed person with no manual or instruction.

Additionally, I’m constantly changed by healthcare providers inside and outside of medical crisis through gifted talent. Medical change makers who believe with me that each one of us share in the responsibility to Be The Change. They think outside the box and put provider-patient-family collaborative care into day to day practice. These women and men are our medical future, striving to provide high quality and safe healthcare for us. The outcome is humanized medicine through service hard to measure.

Most profoundly, I’m changed by the patients and families who today fight the battle of disease, especially rare disease such as SIOD. They are courageous, resilient warriors that give definition to the word hero, with no badge of honor. Each day, weary from the day before, they stand bravely in the midst of tremendous human and medical challenges and press on. For them, BTC continues with a promise to advocate on their behalf, represent hope and possibility in their perspective and will never forget the face of suffering.

Thank you change makers, for doing great things. Mother Teresa once said, “Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.” That’s what we do in this house.

Happy New Year…Be The Change in 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment