Friday, April 27, 2012

A long way home

Whether we realize it or not, we are constantly in search of the road that leads us home. Every day in some varied and subtle way we look for home.

During the day to day Monday through Friday work grind, we daydream of the highway that leads to the comfy couch in our home. On Sunday afternoon, we wish for the Friday night of yesterday, which holds the promise of two days at home. Even on vacation, we secretly wait for the first evening home to lay our head on the familiar pillow we missed.

It’s stepped out in love that’s found in the mother who waits for her student to step off the school bus and return to the securities of their home. In the late night pace of a father who waits for the sound of the garage door and his teenage driver to arrive home without a scratch. In the parents who anxiously wait for the summer return home of their college influenced young adult. Each in their own individual confines, family members look for a collective path home, even if it’s only shared in memories and stories.

As a young girl I would stare out the window from my upstairs bedroom and dream of a different home that was waiting for me beyond the dusty farm road. Now older, I wonder why I was so eager to leave the gravel lane of my home. Reflecting back, I’m able to return there. In my soul, I still live there. In retrospect, it was all part of the journey.

It’s not a cliché or just a line from an old movie. There really is no place like home.

I have lived in many homes over the years. All of them were beautiful, comfortable and served a purpose. But as the years fast forward and my home dynamics change, I realize I’m most at home with people I spend time with, not the house I reside in.

Home travels with us on uniquely planned paths we stroll through in our world. On roads that are more the same than different when they are viewed with eyes of gratitude. We are not our exterior. We reside in the sacred of our interior that will always lead us home.

What place do you call home? This Friday, after a long way home from your travels and before Monday’s in view, take stock of your own little corner of residence. Be The Change because of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment